15255 S. 94th Ave. 5th Floor, Orland Park, IL 60462

Call Us312-702-1293

The Foray Firm
Recent blog posts

IL family lawyerDomestic violence and abuse can take many different forms. Abusers often use intimidation and psychological manipulation to control their victims. Sometimes, this takes the form of stalking. If you have been the victim of stalking, you know just how frightening it can be. Stalking is considered a criminal offense in Illinois. If you have been the victim of stalking during a divorce or other family law issue, you should know that there are certain legal protections available to you. A “Stalking No Contact Order” is a legally enforceable court order that prohibits a stalker from contacting or coming near the victim.

What Does Illinois Law Consider Stalking?

Stalking is defined by Illinois law as repeatedly contacting or following someone in such a way that the person fears for their safety or the safety of someone else and makes the person suffer emotional distress.

Stalking may involve repeatedly:


Continue Reading...

IL family lawyerWhether you are an unmarried parent or one that will soon be divorced, you may have several questions about child support. Illinois law requires both of a child’s parents to contribute to the child’s financial needs. Most commonly, this is accomplished by the parent with less parenting time paying child support to the parent with greater parenting time. Of course, child support is not always as straightforward as it seems.

How Much Child Support Does a Parent Pay?

The amount a parent pays in child support varies from case to case and is typically calculated using a set formula. The most influential factor in Illinois child support payments is the difference between the parents’ net incomes. The greater the difference between their respective incomes, the greater the paying parent’s contribution.

Does Child Support Decrease if Parents Have Equal Parenting Time?

You may wonder if a parent has to pay as much in child support if they are responsible for a significant portion of the parenting time (formerly called visitation). When both parents have 40 percent or more of the parenting time, meaning 146 overnights or more a year, this is called a “shared parenting” child custody arrangement. Child support may be decreased proportionally.


Continue Reading...

IL family lawyerMany are surprised to learn just how common domestic violence is in Illinois. Sadly, violence between spouses, romantic partners, family members, and housemates happens in millions of homes across the Prairie State. It is estimated that over 40 percent of women and 26 percent of men in Illinois have been victims of intimate partner violence or violence between current or former romantic partners.

If you have been abused by a family member or romantic partner, you are not alone. There are steps you can take to protect yourself and your children. One of the most important of these steps is seeking an order of protection.

A Plenary Order of Protection Can Last Two Years

In previous blogs, we have discussed the way an Emergency Order of Protection (EOP) can protect domestic violence victims from further abuse. EOPs are a crucial first step for many abuse victims. However, EOPs only last a few weeks. Plenary Orders of Protection are long-term protection orders which may prevent an abuser from contacting the victim, coming to the victim’s home or work, and more.


Continue Reading...

Top Questions About Divorce in Illinois

Posted on in Divorce

chicago divorce lawyerBeginning the divorce process can be a daunting task. After all, most people have little experience dealing with legal issues prior to their divorce case. If you are like many people ending a marriage, you may have never stepped foot in a courthouse before. Understandably, you may feel confused and intimidated by the process. You may be unsure of what to expect. While each divorce case is different, most cases follow the same basic structure and involve similar concerns.

How Do You File for Divorce in Illinois?  

Every divorce begins with the divorce petition, technically called a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage in Illinois. One spouse, called the petitioner, files the paperwork with the court and the other spouse, the respondent, is expected to “respond” to the divorce petition. The respondent may choose to do nothing. In this case, the judge will make a “default judgment” which means that the divorce concludes without the respondent’s input on issues like the division of assets and debts, child custody, and child support. If you live in the Chicago area or have children, you may also need to file additional forms.

How Long Does it Take to Get Divorced?

Divorce cases vary considerably in length. If you do not have children or own significant assets, your divorce may be over in a matter of a few months. However, if you and your spouse disagree on how to divide property, share custody of your kids, or handle other divorce-related issues, the case may take longer to resolve.


Continue Reading...

Will County family law attorneyResearch shows that fathers’ involvement in their children’s lives is associated with better academic achievement, intellectual functioning, and social skills. Children with absent fathers are more likely to suffer from mental health problems like depression. Unfortunately, some fathers do not see their kids as often as they want because they are unaware of their rights. If you have established the paternity of your child and you are not a danger to your child’s well-being, you may be able to secure visitation or parenting time. However, you may need to take certain steps to assert this right.

You Must Establish Paternity First

If you are interested in spending more time with your children, you may need to take certain steps to establish your parental rights. Before you are given the right to parenting time with your child, you must establish paternity. “Paternity” refers to the legal relationship between a father and his child.

In Illinois, unwed fathers can establish paternity by signing a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity (VAP) form. However, you will need the mother’s signature on the VAP form as well. If she denies that you are the child’s father or will not cooperate, you may need to establish paternity through an administrative order or court order. You may need to submit to DNA testing to prove that you are the child’s father. A DNA sample is taken from your mouth using a cotton swab and sent to the laboratory for analysis. Once paternity has been established, you can have your name added to the child’s birth certificate and seek an order for parenting time.


Continue Reading...

BBA Of Will County Illinois State Bar Association Cook County Bar Association The National Bar Association BWLA
Back to Top