15255 S. 94th Ave. 5th Floor, Orland Park, IL 60462

Call Us312-702-1293

The Foray Firm

How Can I Get a Plenary Order of Protection in Illinois?

 Posted on October 11,2021 in Domestic Violence

IL family lawyerMany are surprised to learn just how common domestic violence is in Illinois. Sadly, violence between spouses, romantic partners, family members, and housemates happens in millions of homes across the Prairie State. It is estimated that over 40 percent of women and 26 percent of men in Illinois have been victims of intimate partner violence or violence between current or former romantic partners.

If you have been abused by a family member or romantic partner, you are not alone. There are steps you can take to protect yourself and your children. One of the most important of these steps is seeking an order of protection.

A Plenary Order of Protection Can Last Two Years

In previous blogs, we have discussed the way an Emergency Order of Protection (EOP) can protect domestic violence victims from further abuse. EOPs are a crucial first step for many abuse victims. However, EOPs only last a few weeks. Plenary Orders of Protection are long-term protection orders which may prevent an abuser from contacting the victim, coming to the victim’s home or work, and more.

How to Get a Plenary Protection Order

Typically, when someone petitions the court for an Emergency Protection Order, a hearing is scheduled for a Plenary Order of Protection. A plenary hearing involves the petitioner, or person requesting the order, and the respondent, or alleged abuser. Each party will have the opportunity to present evidence to the court and state their case. The evidence may include medical records and pictures of injuries the abuser inflicted on the victim, phone records, emails, and more. The judge listens to each party’s side of the story as well as any witness testimony. After considering all of the evidence, the judge issues a ruling. Plenary orders typically last up to two years but you can request an extension through a Motion to Extend an Order of Protection. If you show up to a hearing for a Plenary Order of Protection but your abuser does not show, the judge will most likely rule in your favor and issue the plenary order.

Contact a Joliet Domestic Violence Lawyer

If you have experienced domestic abuse, harassment, stalking, or other harmful behavior, you may be able to get a Plenary Order of Protection. This court order prohibits the person from coming near you or your children. A Will County domestic violence attorney from The Foray Firm can represent you during the Plenary hearing and guide you through the whole process of getting a protection order. You do not have to face this on your own.

Call 312-702-1293 for a confidential consultation today.





Share this post:
BBA Of Will County Illinois State Bar Association Cook County Bar Association The National Bar Association BWLA
Back to Top